Scallops, clams, oysters and shrimp become opaque and firm when fully cooked. Don’t overcook as this will result in loss of moisture which affects texture and taste.
- Place shrimp and scallops in a large pot of boiling water (4 cups of water per pound of meat)
- Let simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Scallops as well as shrimp that has been peeled and deveined will cook in 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rock shrimp cook in about half the time of regular shrimp, so watch closely.
- Shucked clams and oysters will cook in 3 to 5 minutes.
- Seafood with lower fat content – like shrimp, scallops, clams and oysters – should be basted when cooked with a dry heat method such as broiling or baking.
- Pan-fry or sauté
Shucked oysters and clams for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Shrimp and scallops for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Breaded oysters, shrimp, scallops and clams until golden brown in oil that is approximately 365° F.
- Shrimp and scallops cook in 3 to 5 minutes.
- Oysters and clams should be steamed until their shells open completely.